Restaurant 5: 'Ohana

Hello! Hello! Hello!

Long time since I wrote a blog (one month!).  I hope this blog finds you well and healthy!  With Disney still closed, we all hope we can enjoy these restaurants soon!  Today, I have decided to write my next restaurant review of 'Ohana -- which in Hawaiian means extended family, including friends, and anyone who is important to us!

Let us start by saying, are you 180 days out from your vacation to Walt Disney World?  If so, make sure you make that reservation now.  If you wait until you are 179 days out, chances are they are already booked!

'Ohana is a family style served Polynesian type food, fitting that it is in the Disney's Polynesian Village Resort.  I recommend you eat late, as well as try to get a table near the windows.  The later you eat, the better chance you get to see the fireworks from the Magic Kingdom.  Or you eat earlier, then grab a seat on the beach (a cocktail from Trader Sams) at the resort to watch the fireworks (they pipe the music in for the fireworks to the beach).


Anyway, you are here for the food review.  Being a family style restaurant, you will be served everything they have to offer.  The price is $55 per adult and $33 for children 3-9.  To start off, as the host brings you to your table, they pass a portion of the kitchen, where they pick up the most delicious "'Ohana Coconut-Pineapple Bread".  This bread is delicious, moist, tender, melt the butter warm!  Yes, you can put butter on this, however, you can eat it without (try it without), you would not be disappointed.  

Once seated, the server will get you drinks, and deliver you a Mixed Green Salad with Lilikoi Dressing (look it up, I have never had it, I do not like rabbit food!).  An adult beverage recommendation is the Lapu Lapu -- Plantation Original Dark Rum and Tropical Fruit Juices served in a fresh Pineapple topped with Gosling's 151 Rum.  This drink is $18 (as of this posting).  To me, this drink ranks up there with the famous Dole Whip.

Appetizers, yes folks, I am STILL in the beginning of this meal.  Pork Dumplings with Garlic Ginger sauce, and the Honey-Coriander Chicken Wings -- These items are Ahhhh-mazing, they are done perfectly and have you asking for more (and yes you can get more).  


The main course comes to you via skewers, similar to a Brazilian steakhouse.  The skewer offerings are Sweet n Sour Chicken, Szechuan Sirloin Steak, and Spicy Grilled Pull-n-Eat Shrimp.  All skewers are cooked over an oak wood fire and served with Peanut and Sweet-n-Sour sauces.  Now, everyone who knows me, I do not eat seafood -- sorry!  However, what I have heard is the shrimp is some of the best people have had -- do not take my word for it :-).  All I can say for the food was "Keep'em coming"!  The chicken and steak was tender, juicy, mouth watering, and extremely flavorful!  

Now, if you have read my previous blogs, the dessert is one my favvvvvvvvvvorite items in all of Disney World!  It is the 'Ohana Bread Pudding a la mode!  Please Please Please, make room for this item, you will NOT regret it!  Like I said before, bread pudding in my mind has always been its an elderly persons dessert, but please hear me out!  This will tickle your tastebuds and say, "Man that guy that wrote on the Ears of Adventure was oooh sooooo right!".  The moistness, warmness, and deliciousness of this dessert will have you wanting more.  Unfortunately, this is the one item on this menu you cannot ask for more of.

During this meal, while tasting the deliciousness, you will be treated to some entertainment.  The last time I was there, they had the kids do a coconut race around the restaurant, and a gentleman came out playing the Ukulele, serenading those who are celebrating a special occasion.



Grading this establishment:
Service:  A- (You cannot really rate this much, all the server really does is have to remember what you had for a drink, clean your plates off your table.  The meal comes out without much server interaction)
Drinks:  A (Being a Polynesian establishment, you know there will be great amount of Pineapple and rum drinks -- In my eyes, that all I need)
Food:  B+ (Yes, I gloated a lot in this blog, however as great as the food was -- Its not far from your local Chinese Food restaurant -- But has better atmosphere, food is warmer, and has a tad bit more flavor)
Atmosphere:  A-  (do you like that Pacific Theater feeling -- Rum drink in your hand, enjoying food, this is your place!)
Overall:  A- (I love this place!)

There you have it, that is the 'Ohana Restaurant at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort.  I hope you enjoy this blog -- Please share and subscribe!  "See You Real Soon!" - Mickey Mouse

Next Restaurant Review -- Tony's Town Square Restaurant

Comments

Popular Posts