Restaurant 2: The California Grill

Hello Disney Dining Enthusiasts!
Coming to you from a cold, crisp, climate in Massachusetts.  Today, we are going to discover The California Grill at the Contemporary Resort on the property of Walt Disney World.  
We will start the blog off with a pro tip!  Pro Tip for the California Grill is that reservations for this restaurant are tough to get, fret not my friend, I have a tip for you!  When the California Grill opens at 4ish, tell the lady (or gentleman) at the host counter that you would want to sit in the lounge or bar.  Seating at these two locations are first come first serve, no reservations needed!  
Okay, now that the pro tip is out of the way, this restaurant has a unique entry, an elevator!  That is right, in order to get to this establishment, you have to board an elevator, where one of the fab five characters (Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, and Pluto) tells you the floor you are on.
Once inside, you will find a very fancy looking place, with an open kitchen, long bar, and wine bottles on the wall.  Further into the restaurant, you see a full glass wall, when you look out, you get a view of the Magic Kingdom, like you have never seen before.  
Bread Service with California Olive Oil
(and wine of course)
On this visit, the bar was opened, so I ponied up and started to chat it up with the bartender or cast member.  As we chatted, I could not help but think, where is the avocado on this menu?!?.  Is it me but when you hear the word Californian Cuisine, you immediately think avocado and wine?  Well, I did see the extensive wine list (some vineyards that I had actually been to in California).  Anyway, if you are looking for the avocado type menu, this place will disappoint you.  This is just another steakhouse, and yes it is JUST another steakhouse.  The bread service in the beginning was good, had California olive oil, and a salted butter.  For my entree, I elected to go with the "Oak-Fired Filet of Beef", in laymen terms filet mignon.  This item wasn't anything spectacular, it was good, but like I said earlier this is JUST another steakhouse.  I ordered it medium rare, like always, the oak must have been hiding, it tasted more like a charcoal fired grill had cooked it.  I am not sure it was worth $59, which at my favorite steakhouse $59 would afforded me a much more tastier steak, however, it is Disney World!  Anyway, I finished this meal off with Warm Valrhona Chocolate Cake -- described on the Disney Website as:  Vanilla Bean Ice Cream, Milk Chocolate-whipped Panna Cotta, Pretzel Crunch.  This is probably the highlight of the meal, however, another industrial dessert!  The presentation was amazing, I have included a picture below, so, you can see for yourself, but nothing spectacular.  This meal was overall another expensive one.  According to the Walt Disney Website this restaurant is $35-$59.99 per adult, my bill was over $100 once again!  Also, if you are on the Disney Meal Plan, this is a TWO credit meal, so, keep that in mind -- if it was up to me, don't waste two credits on this place!
Grading of this Restaurant:
Service:  A (Sitting at the bar, you receive more attention then the tables, I think that goes for most places).
Drinks:  B (I had wine, you cant really be creative with that, the grade is no knock on the bartender).
Atmosphere:  B- (Great views, but nothing California about this place!  At least have the states flag or something!)
Food:  B- (All I have to say is average!  Another Steakhouse feeling.)
Overall:  B- (Just another steakhouse, with great service, and a great feeling of spending lots of money!)

Well there you have it, another restaurant review by yours truly!  I have included pictures of my meal and dessert below this comment.  Two last points about this restaurant, if you eat here anytime during the day, you can show your receipt at host stand for the ability to have views of Happily Ever After, fireworks show, from the rooftop deck!  Last point, they serve brunch every Sunday, good luck getting reservations!  I hear they have unlimited mimosa's for $90+, so dig deep(er) into that wallet!
Anyway, "See Ya Real Soon"! - Mickey Mouse!
Next Restaurant Review:  The Garden Grill

Comments

Popular Posts